17.63°C Vancouver

News

b-c-workers-now-eligible-for-three-hours-of-paid-leave-to-get-covid-19-immunizations
BCApr 28, 2021

B.C. workers now eligible for three hours of paid leave to get COVID-19 immunizations

Workers in British Columbia can receive up to three hours of paid leave in order to get a COVID-19 vaccination. A statement from the Ministry of Labour says amendments to the Employment Standards Act are now in effect, retroactive to April 19. The employer-paid leave covers full-time and part-time workers and the ministry says it ensures no employee will lose pay for taking time off to get vaccinated. The three-hour leave is part of B.C.'s immunization plan and the statement says it helps make the vaccination process as easy as possible. The legislation improves on changes enacted April 1 tha
premier-horgan-and-minister-of-labour-harry-bains-remember-the-lives-lost-on-national-day-of-mourning
BCApr 28, 2021

Premier Horgan and Minister of Labour Harry Bains remember the lives lost on National Day of Mourning

Premier John Horgan and Harry Bains, Minister of Labour, have issued a statement. "Today on the National Day of Mourning, we join with people and families throughout B.C. and across Canada to remember the lives lost or forever changed by workplace injury and illness. "One hundred and fifty-one workers in B.C. lost their lives because of a work-related injury or illness in the past year. We stand together and offer our deepest condolences to the families, friends and coworkers who lost someone close to them. "COVID-19 has pushed everyone in B.C. to improve occupational health and safety practic
canadas-first-300-000-doses-of-j-j-covid-19-vaccine-arriving-today-650-000-doses-of-moderna-vaccine-arrive-in-toronto
CanadaApr 28, 2021

Canada's first 300,000 doses of J&J COVID-19 vaccine arrive; 650,000 doses of Moderna vaccine also arrive in Toronto

Canada's first 300,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine are arriving today, a federal official tells The Canadian Press. The official, granted anonymity to discuss matters not made public yet, said that where the doses are coming from is not being disclosed because the government needs to ``protect this new vaccine supply chain.'' J&J has struggled with production problems and has been able to deliver very few doses, even in the United States. Canada purchased 10 million doses, and has the option to buy 28 million more. The doses are expected to be distributed to provin
community-leaders-in-point-roberts-offering-up-excess-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine-to-people-in-bc
BCApr 28, 2021

Community leaders in Point Roberts offering up excess doses of COVID-19 vaccine to people in BC

Community leaders in the small town of Point Roberts, Washington, are offering up excess doses of COVID-19 vaccine to people in BC. Some British Columbians have properties in the American town that borders Canada while being cut off from the rest of the United States. Point Roberts Fire Chief Christopher Carleton says 70 per cent of residents have been immunized and the town would like to share vaccine starting with Americans living in BC and BC residents with properties in the town. Officials in Alaska recently made a similar offer to share COVID-19 vaccines with residents of Stewart, BC, wi
iio-notified-after-incident-in-salmon-arm-as-woman-reaches-hospital-with-serious-injuries
BCApr 28, 2021

IIO notified after incident in Salmon Arm as woman reaches hospital with serious injuries

RCMP say BC's police watchdog has been called after an incident in Salmon Arm that sent one woman to hospital with serious injuries. They say officers responded to a possible domestic disturbance last Thursday, while another caller said a car may have been linked to the report. The Mounties say officers en route to the scene noticed a car fitting the description travelling at a high speed in the opposite direction, and later found it had been involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle. They say the woman driving the first car was still being treated in hospital and the Independent I
new-westminster-school-district-votes-to-immediately-cancel-police-liaison-program
BCApr 28, 2021

New Westminster school district votes to immediately cancel police liaison program

A second school district in British Columbia has ended a program that put uniformed officers in its elementary, middle and secondary schools, but trustees are not rejecting further links with police. New Westminster school board members voted Tuesday night to immediately end the district's child and youth liaison officer program due to concerns that armed officers could be disturbing to racialized or LGBTQ youth. A letter from the board to the chief of the New Westminster Police says cancellation of the program is not a reflection on the department or its staff. The letter says the board look
ontario-auditor-general-says-provincial-government-and-the-long-term-care-home-sector-were-poorly-prepared-for-the-covid-19-pandemic
CanadaApr 28, 2021

Ontario Auditor General says, provincial government and the long-term care home sector were poorly prepared for the COVID-19 pandemic

Ontario Auditor General Bonnie Lysyk says both the provincial government and the long-term care home sector failed to heed lessons learned from the SARS epidemic and were poorly prepared for the COVID-19 pandemic. Her report into the deaths of more than 3,700 nursing home residents last spring finds concerns about systemic weaknesses that had been raised for years were never addressed. Among other things, Bonnie Lysyk says emergency planning was woefully inadequate. Bonnie Lysyk says vaccinations have now blunted the impact of the virus but the sector remains vulnerable given past neglect. Ly
former-liberal-gaming-minister-deputy-premier-to-testify-at-money-laundering-inquiry
BCApr 28, 2021

Former Liberal gaming minister, deputy premier to testify at money laundering inquiry

A former B.C. Liberal cabinet minister who was responsible for gaming for more than a decade is scheduled to testify today at the public inquiry into money laundering.Rich Coleman, a six-term former member of the B.C. legislature and deputy premier, is the latest of several high-profile past and current politicians to appear before the Cullen Commission in recent days.Former premier Christy Clark recently testified at the inquiry, as did current Opposition Liberal MLAs Shirley Bond and Mike de Jong, both of whom were previous ministers in charge of gaming.B.C. Attorney General David Eby, who
watch-aftermath-of-assam-earthquake
IndiaApr 28, 2021

Watch: Aftermath of Assam earthquake

An earthquake of magnitude 6.4 on the Richter scale struck parts of Assam on morning of April 28. Cracks appeared on a road in Sonitpur after the massive earthquake. Meanwhile, a building in Nagaon tilted against its adjacent building. Prime Minister Narendra Modi also tweeted and prayed for the well-being of locals.

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to