16.12°C Vancouver

News

progress-being-made-after-recommendations-issued-following-sinkings-crashes-or-other-events-causing-death-or-injury-tsb
BCMay 13, 2021

Progress being made after recommendations issued following sinkings, crashes or other events causing death or injury: TSB

The Transportation Safety Board says progress is being made by the marine, aviation and rail sectors to act on TSB recommendations issued following sinkings, crashes or other events that have caused death or injury. In its annual reassessment of responses to 62 ongoing safety recommendations, the board says 12 more have received a ``fully satisfactory'' rating, pushing the number of recommendations to receive the top rating to nearly 85 per cent. But the board says some key safety ratings have still seen minimal movement, including one it ranks as ``unsatisfactory'' related to a recommendatio
lawmaker-demands-bloc-mp-answer-for-naked-screenshot-of-liberal-colleague
CanadaMay 13, 2021

Lawmaker demands Bloc MP answer for naked screenshot of Liberal colleague

The Liberal government whip says Bloc Quebecois MP Stephen Lemire should answer questions about a screenshot he took of a naked Liberal MP during virtual parliamentary proceedings last month. Liberal whip Mark Holland is calling for Lemire to appear before a House of Commons committee. Quebec MP William Amos has said he was changing his clothes after a jog on April 14th and did not realize his laptop camera was turned on as he was visible on an internal parliamentary feed. Lemire has apologized for taking the screenshot, but has said he has no idea how the image was released to the media and
autopsy-planned-as-rcmp-identify-one-of-two-bodies-found-monday-near-penticton-b-c
BCMay 13, 2021

Autopsy planned as RCMP identify one of two bodies found Monday near Penticton, B.C.

Homicide investigators say they have identified one of two victims found dead along a forest service road near Penticton, B.C. An update from the RCMP's Southeast District major crime unit says the second person has not yet been named but identification work continues. An autopsy on both victims is set for Friday. The bodies were found Monday along a road in the Naramata Creek area and police say although the killings appear targeted, the incident is believed to be isolated and the public is not at risk. A vehicle found near the bodies is part of the investigation and detectives are appealing
ethics-watchdog-pm-didnt-violate-conflict-rules-over-we-charity-but-morneau-did
CanadaMay 13, 2021

Ethics watchdog: PM didn't violate conflict rules over WE Charity, but Morneau did

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau did not breach the Conflict of Interest Act over failing to recuse himself from cabinet discussions to have WE Charity operate a federal student-volunteer program, Canada's ethics watchdog say in a report released Thursday. In a separate report, federal ethics commissioner Mario Dion found that former finance minister Bill Morneau did violate the rules and should have recused himself. He says Morneau ``gave WE preferential treatment by permitting his ministerial staff to disproportionately assist it when it sought federal funding.'' Dion says he was asked to inve
greyhound-canada-to-cut-all-routes-end-operations
CanadaMay 13, 2021

Greyhound Canada to cut all routes, end operations

Greyhound Canada is permanently cutting all bus routes across the country, shutting down the intercity bus carrier's operations in Canada after nearly a century of service. The motor coach company says its remaining routes in Ontario and Quebec will cease permanently on Thursday. Its American affiliate, Greyhound Lines, Inc., will continue to operate cross-border routes to Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver once the border reopens. The decision comes a year after Greyhound Canada temporarily suspended all service due to a sharp decline in passengers and mounting travel restrictions amid the firs
expert-says-covid-19-could-be-a-cause-in-public-nature-of-gang-violence-1
BCMay 13, 2021

Expert says COVID-19 could be a cause in public nature of gang violence

An expert on gangs says the very public nature of a recent series of shootings in Metro Vancouver may be attributed to COVID-19 restrictions, with rivals striking at the first chance they get.Martin Bouchard, a professor in Simon Fraser University's school of criminology, says the pandemic has changed people's routines and they aren't getting out of their homes often, which could play a role in the brazen nature of shootings.He says gang violence follows its own course regardless of what the initial motive was for the conflict.The comments come as police leaders meet today with Solicitor Gene
major-general-sk-singh-to-head-indian-armys-base-hospital-in-delhi-cantonment
IndiaMay 13, 2021

Major General SK Singh to head Indian Army's Base Hospital in Delhi Cantonment

Senior plastic surgery specialist Major General SK Singh was appointed as the new head of the Indian Army's Base Hospital in Delhi Cantonment on Thursday.Till now, Major General SK Singh was posted at Military Hospital in Lucknow where he was looking after COVID-19 treatment of military personnel and ex-servicemen along with the running of medical facilities for civilians created by DRDO.
british-columbia-to-use-remaining-astrazeneca-vaccine-for-second-doses
BCMay 13, 2021

British Columbia to use remaining AstraZeneca vaccine for second doses

British Columbia will be holding its remaining stock of the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to use as second doses for residents. Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry say the change is due to the limited availability of the vaccine. The pair say in a joint statement all currently scheduled vaccination appointments through pharmacies will proceed, but no additional appointments will be booked. British Columbia reported 600 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday and 5,887 active infections, for a total of 137,223 since the pandemic began. It also reported one n
partial-brick-of-suspected-cocaine-seized-by-sget
BCMay 12, 2021

Partial brick of suspected cocaine seized by SGET

The Surrey Gang Enforcement Team has seized a partial brick of suspected cocaine as part of on-going targeted gang enforcement in Surrey.On May 9, 2021 at 11:27 p.m., Surrey Gang Enforcement Team (SGET) attempted to stop a speeding vehicle in the area of 108 Avenue and 152 Street. The vehicle failed to stop and fled from police at high rate of speed. Other SGET units in the area were able to get ahead of the fleeing vehicle and blocked the lanes of travel. With no route of escape, the suspect vehicle stopped and the driver was arrested.Further investigation led to seizure of a partial brick of

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to