22.11°C Vancouver

News

AlbertaAug 17, 2026

Edmonton Teen Girl Dies After Weekend Shooting

Police in Edmonton are investigating a weekend shooting that claimed the life of a 16-year-old girl. Officers were called to an area in northeast Edmonton on Sunday morning, where they found the teenager suffering from serious injuries. Paramedics pronounced her dead at the scene. The Edmonton Police Service said homicide investigators have taken over the investigation.
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Applications for Canadian Citizenship Certificates Surge, Driven by Thousands of Americans

Applications for Canadian citizenship certificates from around the world have increased sharply, with American citizens accounting for a significant share of the rise. The Bill C-3 legislation, implemented by the federal government late last year, opened a pathway to citizenship for people with Canadian ancestry, including those whose ancestors left Canada several generations ago. According to the latest figures from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), 6,100 citizenship certificates were issued between the implementation of Bill C-3 in mid-December and May 31. Nearly half of t
canadas-proposed-under-16-social-media-ban-likely-to-face-charter-challenge
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Canada’s proposed under-16 social media ban likely to face Charter challenge

Experts say Canada’s proposed ban on social media access for children under 16 could face a constitutional challenge under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The issue has gained attention after France’s top court recently struck down a similar ban for children under 15, ruling that the measure was too broad and infringed on freedom of expression. Dalhousie University associate law professor Michael Karanicolas said a Charter challenge to Canada’s legislation is “almost inevitable.” He argued that social media has become an important platform for young people to participate
40-year-old-man-charged-in-surrey-sexual-assault-investigation
BCAug 17, 2026

40-Year-Old Man Charged in Surrey Sexual Assault Investigation

Criminal Code charges have been approved against a 40-year-old man following a Surrey Police Service (SPS) investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving a female youth at Bear Creek Park. Police say officers responded to the park on August 9, 2026, after receiving a report that a female youth had been groped by an adult male. The suspect allegedly fled the scene before officers arrived. On August 12, SPS released photos of the suspect and appealed to the public for help identifying him. A man matching the suspect’s description was identified and arrested later that day. The B.C. Pro
AlbertaAug 17, 2026

Calgary Police Seek Public Help to Locate Suspect After Assault

Calgary police are asking for the public’s help in locating a 22-year-old suspect wanted in connection with an assault that sent three people to hospital. Police were called to Spanky’s Saloon on Friday night, where officers found three injured men. One of the victims appeared to have suffered a stab wound. Investigators believe all three men were assaulted by the same suspect. Police say the 22-year-old is currently wanted on a warrant for multiple charges and are asking anyone with information about his whereabouts to contact authorities.
BCAug 17, 2026

Third Shooting Near Schools in Fort St. John in a Month, Police Investigating

Police in Fort St. John, B.C., are investigating a shooting that marks the third incident involving gunfire near schools in the city since July 22. According to police, shots were fired at around 10 p.m. Friday in the 8800 block of 107A Avenue. A residence was targeted in the incident. Following an initial investigation, officers believe the shooting was targeted. No suspect has been identified or arrested so far. Fort St. John RCMP’s Serious Crime Unit, Street Enforcement Team and frontline officers are working together on the investigation. Police and B.C. Emergency Health Services have no
randhawa-says-he-will-seek-congress-ticket-only-from-dera-baba-nanak
IndiaAug 17, 2026

Randhawa says he will seek Congress ticket only from Dera Baba Nanak

Congress MP Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa has said that if he seeks a party ticket for the 2027 Punjab Assembly election, it will be only from the Dera Baba Nanak constituency. Randhawa said he has no intention of seeking a ticket from any other Assembly seat. His comments come as discussions over potential candidates and party tickets intensify ahead of the 2027 Punjab election. He said Congress should select candidates based on their eligibility and ability to win elections rather than on personal loyalty or flattery. Randhawa also said preference should be given to people who have demonstrated
canadas-inflation-rate-rises-to-3-per-cent-in-july
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Canada’s inflation rate rises to 3 per cent in July

Canada’s annual inflation rate rose to 3 per cent in July, up from 2.8 per cent in June, according to Statistics Canada. The agency said the increase was driven largely by higher gasoline prices. Gasoline prices were 26 per cent higher in July than a year earlier, compared with a 21 per cent annual increase in June. Excluding gasoline prices, consumer inflation was 2.2 per cent in July, Statistics Canada reported. Grocery price growth also slowed, with food purchased from grocery stores rising 3.1 per cent year over year, down from 3.9 per cent in June. Despite the slowdown, Statistics Canad
two-homes-damaged-by-fire-in-port-coquitlam-about-12-people-displaced
BCAug 17, 2026

Two homes damaged by fire in Port Coquitlam, about 12 people displaced

About 12 people were displaced after a fire damaged two adjoining homes on the 1900 block of Langan Avenue in Port Coquitlam on Sunday morning. Port Coquitlam Fire and Emergency Services sent more than 20 firefighters and an aerial ladder truck to the scene. Deputy Fire Chief Jason Marshall said crews arrived at about 10 a.m. to find both homes involved in the fire. One firefighter was injured while crews worked to contain the blaze. According to officials, the firefighter was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital. The injuries were not considered life-threatening. Both homes sus

Just In

poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth