18.61°C Vancouver

News

b-c-state-of-emergency-extended-again-428-more-covid-19-cases-and-8-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCJan 06, 2021

B.C. state of emergency extended again; 428 more COVID-19 cases and 8 deaths reported in B.C.

British Columbia has again extended its state of emergency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic nearly 10 months after it was first declared. The Ministry of Public Safety says in a news release the extension until Jan. 19 will allow officials to use powers under the Emergency Program Act. Premier John Horgan says in the statement there's hope with the provincial immunization program getting underway, but it's too early to ease restrictions in the pandemic that has claimed 954 lives in B.C. A joint statement from Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry on Tue
BCJan 06, 2021

Man fatally shot by police in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside neighbourhood

A 37 year old man has died after being shot by police in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside neighbourhood early Tuesday. Police say in a news release paramedics called for help in response to a man who was acting aggressively and erratically at a residential building. They say the man sustained injuries after smashing his window and throwing large objects into the street before police arrived. Police say they received reports the man was chasing people on the street with a weapon, "using it in an aggressive and threatening manner." He was subsequently shot by police. Police did not provide further
BCJan 06, 2021

B.C. mink farmer decides to destroy 1,000 animals after positive COVID-19 tests

British Columbia's chief veterinarian says a mink farmer decided to euthanize the remaining 1,000 animals on his Fraser Valley operation after some of the mink tested positive for COVID-19. Dr. Rayna Gunvaldsen says the operator was not ordered by the provincial government to euthanize the animals as more tests are underway to determine the extent of the presence of COVID-19. The first farm where the virus spread to mink also had eight workers who tested positive and Gunvaldsen says both farms remain under quarantine. She says there are no other reports of COVID-19 at B.C.'s eight other mink f
higher-property-values-in-b-c-prompt-increase-in-2021-homeowner-grant
BCJan 06, 2021

Higher property values in B.C. prompt increase in 2021 homeowner grant

A grant that helps British Columbia homeowners offset a portion of their property tax is being raised to reflect an increase in the assessed value of their homes. The Ministry of Finance says the threshold for the 2021 homeowner grant has been set at $1.625 million, a $100,000 increase over last year. It says the increase means the same percentage of homeowners remain eligible for either the basic grant or an enhanced grant that's available to those over 65 or people with disabilities. About 92 per cent of homeowners were eligible last year. In Metro Vancouver, the Fraser Valley Regional Dist
covid-19-outbreak-at-cardiac-ward-in-st-pauls-hospital-in-downtown-vancouver
BCJan 05, 2021

COVID-19 outbreak at cardiac ward in St. Paul's Hospital in downtown Vancouver

Vancouver Coastal Health say there has been an outbreak of COVID-19 on the cardiac ward in St. Paul's Hospital in downtown Vancouver, closing the unit to all but end-of-life visits. Although the rest of the hospital remains open. Interior Health says weekly case numbers of COVID-19 are higher, per capita, in Revelstoke than in many other areas of B.C.Interior Health says weekly case numbers of COVID-19 are higher, per capita, in Revelstoke than in many other areas of the province and it is urging residents to take steps to curb the spread of the virus. The health authority has issued a news re
starting-thursday-canada-is-requiring-incoming-air-travellers-to-present-evidence-of-a-recent-negative-covid-19-test-dominic-leblanc
CanadaJan 05, 2021

Starting Thursday, Canada is requiring incoming air travellers to present evidence of a recent negative COVID-19 test: Dominic LeBlanc

Intergovernmental Affairs Minister Dominic LeBlanc says the federal government will look at just about any measure to discourage people from travelling internationally. But he says Canada doesn't want to join the short list of countries that require government approval for travel, with measures such as exit visas. He says the federal government has been crystal clear since early last year that travelling abroad during the COVID-19 pandemic is a bad idea. Starting Thursday, Canada is requiring incoming air travellers to present evidence of a recent negative COVID-19 test before being allowed t
federal-government-is-making-changes-to-the-1-000-sickness-benefit-pm-trudeau
CanadaJan 05, 2021

Federal government is making changes to the $1,000 sickness benefit: PM Trudeau

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canadians who have travelled abroad should not expect to collect a benefit for people who have to isolate themselves. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government is making changes to the $1,000 sickness benefit. He says the program is for workers who have to quarantine because they are sick or have had close contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19. Trudeau says the point was never to subsidize vacations and he's frustrated and angry that non-essential travellers might have claimed the benefit. The government will revise the rules t
dr-theresa-tam-concerned-at-how-quickly-canadas-covid-19-case-numbers-are-growing
CanadaJan 05, 2021

Dr. Theresa Tam concerned at how quickly Canada's COVID-19 case numbers are growing

Canada's chief public health officer says she's concerned at how quickly Canada's COVID-19 case numbers are growing. Doctor Theresa Tam says over the past week, the number of infections has been increasing by almost 7,500 per day. She notes that it took five months for Canada to reach its first 100,000 cases, and just over two weeks to go from 500- to 600,000. Dr. Tam says this rapid accumulation of cases will continue until we can make significant progress in interrupting the spread of the virus. More than 617,000 case have been reported in Canada since the start of pandemic. At present 79,5
majority-of-sailings-between-vancouver-island-and-metro-vancouver-cancelled-due-to-extreme-weather-bc-ferries
BCJan 05, 2021

Majority of sailings between Vancouver Island and Metro Vancouver cancelled due to extreme weather: BC Ferries

BC Ferries has cancelled the majority of sailings today between Vancouver Island and Metro Vancouver due to extreme weather. Environment Canada says a strong Pacific frontal system will bring very strong winds beginning in the late morning, with gusts up to 90 kilometres per hour. The strongest winds are expected over exposed coastal sections near the Strait of Georgia, Haro Strait and the Southern Gulf Islands. BC Ferries says it doesn't take the decision lightly and will resume service as soon as it's safe to do so. BC Ferries is telling travellers to check its website after numerous aftern

Just In

canada-expands-online-passport-renewal-service-to-all-eligible-adults
CanadaJul 28, 2026

Canada expands online passport renewal service to all eligible adults

Canada's Immigration Minister Lena Diab has announced the removal of limits on the federal government's online passport renewal service, making it available to all eligible Canadian adults aged 16 and older. Speaking at a news conference in Vancouver, Diab said eligible applicants living in Canada can now submit passport renewal applications online at any time without waiting for appointment availability. According to the federal government, the expanded digital service is intended to make passport renewals more accessible and reduce the need for in-person visits. Under the new system, applica
97-year-old-kelowna-man-dies-after-mobility-scooter-collision-with-charter-bus
BCJul 28, 2026

97-year-old Kelowna man dies after mobility scooter collision with charter bus

A 97-year-old Kelowna man has died after a collision involving his mobility scooter and a charter bus on Sunday afternoon, according to the RCMP. Police said officers and BC Emergency Health Services responded to the crash on Benvoulin Road near Rampone Road at the same time on Sunday. The man was taken to hospital, where he later died from his injuries. RCMP confirmed no one aboard the charter bus was injured. Investigators said a collision reconstruction specialist attended the scene to assist with the investigation. According to police, investigators do not believe criminality or impairment
CanadaJul 28, 2026

Halton police charge nine people in largest human trafficking investigation in force history

Halton Regional Police say nine people have been arrested and 85 criminal charges have been laid following what the force describes as its largest sexual exploitation human trafficking investigation. According to Halton Regional Police, the investigation, called Project Troubadour, began after a woman reported being exploited by an organized network in September 2025. Police said the victim’s disclosure helped investigators identify the alleged trafficking operation operating in the Greater Toronto Area. Supt. Dave Costantini said the 10-month investigation has identified 12 alleged victims
prince-george-police-seize-suspected-cocaine-weapons-and-cash-during-business-search
BCJul 28, 2026

Prince George police seize suspected cocaine, weapons and cash during business search

Prince George RCMP say officers seized suspected cocaine, weapons, ammunition and cash during a search of a local business on July 24. According to Prince George RCMP, officers executed a search warrant under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act during the early morning hours at a business located in the 1800-block of Quinn Street. Police said the search resulted in the seizure of several weapons, a large quantity of ammunition, more than 80 grams of suspected cocaine and approximately $10,000 in cash. Two people who were at the location were arrested during the operation and have since bee
punjab-cm-bhagwant-mann-says-no-exam-papers-leaked-during-aap-governments-tenure
IndiaJul 28, 2026

Punjab CM Bhagwant Mann says no exam papers leaked during AAP government’s tenure

Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann said his government has not reported any paper leaks in the state during the past four and a half years, rejecting allegations raised by opposition leaders. Mann’s remarks came hours after BJP MPs protested outside Parliament demanding the resignation of Punjab Education Minister Harjot Bains over alleged irregularities related to examinations. According to Mann, the Punjab government has provided 69,000 government jobs during its tenure based on merit and without recommendations, paper leaks or cash transactions. He said allegations of paper leaks were be