14.71°C Vancouver

News

burnaby-hospital-reports-new-covid-19-flare-up-two-days-after-declaring-outbreak-over-414-new-covid-19-cases-and-16-deaths-reported-in-b-c
BCFeb 04, 2021

Burnaby Hospital reports new COVID-19 flare-up two days after declaring outbreak over; 414 new COVID-19 cases and 16 deaths reported in B.C.

Just a few days after a COVID-19 outbreak was declared over at the hospital in Burnaby, B.C., another flare-up has been reported at the health centre. The Fraser Health authority says nine patients in the medicine unit at Burnaby Hospital have tested positive and it has been temporarily closed to admissions. The emergency department remains open at the hospital and enhanced cleaning and contact tracing has begun. B.C. reported 414 new cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday, for a total of 68,780. There were also 16 more COVID-19-related deaths, 4,426 active cases and 278 in hospital. Provincial healt
proud-boys-other-extreme-right-wing-groups-among-13-added-to-canadas-terror-list
CanadaFeb 04, 2021

Proud Boys, other extreme right-wing groups, among 13 added to Canada's terror list

The Trudeau government is adding the Proud Boys and three other extreme right-wing groups to its list of terrorist organizations. Public Safety Minister Bill Blair says the groups have proven themselves to be violent, as was seen in the United States during the riot at the Capitol building in Washington, DC last month. The four right-wing groups are among 13 additions to the list, which include three groups linked to al-Qaida, four associated with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant and one Kashmiri organization. The government notes the Proud Boys played a "pivotal role in the insurrecti
BCFeb 03, 2021

Vancouver senior Usha Singh succumbs to injuries suffered in violent home, two people under arrest

Police say an elderly woman has died and two people are under arrest following a violent home invasion on Vancouver's west side. A statement from police says 78 year old Usha Singh died Tuesday. Investigators believe she was attacked early Sunday by two men who entered her home posing as police officers. The statement says a 47 year old man wanted on a Canada-wide warrant for unrelated offences was arrested in east Vancouver Tuesday, suffering a serious bite wound from a police service dog in the process. A 41 year old man was taken into custody a few hours later near the city's Downtown East
CanadaFeb 03, 2021

Canada could get up to 1.1 million additional doses of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine by the end of March

Canada could get up to 1.1 million additional doses of AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine by the end of March through the global vaccine-sharing initiative COVAX. That's if and when it's approved by Health Canada, and would be over and above Ottawa's existing agreement with the drugmaker. And since there is the potential for production delays, COVAX is giving countries a range of potential deliveries. Canada was told it would get between 1.9 million and 3.2 million doses by the end of June, with between 500,000 and 1.1 million of those arriving before the end of next month. The vaccine alliance
sites-being-cleared-to-make-way-for-the-2-83-billion-dollar-broadway-subway-project-in-vancouver
BCFeb 03, 2021

Sites being cleared to make way for the 2.83 billion dollar Broadway subway project in Vancouver

Sites are now being cleared to make way for the 2.83 billion dollar Broadway subway project, which aims to help people get around one of the busiest parts of Vancouver when it's completed in 2025. Federal Infrastructure Minister Catherine McKenna says her government is making historic investments in infrastructure projects and the subway will introduce a new transportation option while reducing traffic congestion and air pollution. The government says in a joint release with BC and local officials that some building demolition is necessary to construct six new station entrances. It is also im
victoria-police-officers-investigating-after-suspicious-incident-reported-near-a-school
BCFeb 03, 2021

Victoria police officers investigating after suspicious incident reported near a school

Victoria police officers are investigating after a suspicious incident near a school yesterday afternoon. Police say shortly after 12 pm, they were called to the area of SJ Willis School for a report of a man holding what appeared to be a firearm in Topaz Park. Officers contained the area surrounding SJ Willis School and nearby Quadra Elementary School and both schools were placed in lockdown. Police say they searched the area for over an hour and did not find a man similar in description to the suspect. Officers are continuing to investigate the incident but do not believe there is a risk to
BCFeb 03, 2021

Liberals say rebates promised to BC drivers fall short of those in other jurisdictions

The Opposition Liberals say rebates promised to BC drivers due to the decline in crashes during the COVID-19 pandemic fall short of those in other jurisdictions. Premier John Horgan announced yesterday that rebates will average about 190 dollars each. Liberal critic Mike Morris says other insurers in Canada gave rebates averaging 280 dollars. Morris says the rebates are welcome news for drivers, but it should have happened months ago and it's confusing why it will take another six weeks to deliver. Horgan says ICBC will return 600 million dollars in net savings to about three million drivers
BCFeb 03, 2021

Missing man's body found in the North Thompson River in Kamloops

The RCMP Dive Team has found a body in the North Thompson River in Kamloops, after a days-long search. Constable Crystal Evelyn says the discovery came five days after witnesses reported seeing a man trying to swim across the river before disappearing. She says the body matched the description of the man who went missing. The man was found in shallow water near the area he was last observed. The missing person was described as Caucasian, slender, and likely in his 30s, but the identity of the body found has not been provided at this point.
farmers-protest-govt-threatens-penal-action-against-twitter-for-not-complying-with-directives
IndiaFeb 03, 2021

Farmers protest: Govt threatens penal action against Twitter for not complying with directives

The Centre has issued a notice to Twitter to comply with its order to remove contents/accounts related to "farmer genocide". Twitter may face penal action for not complying with government orders, according to the sources. Content with the 'ModiPlanningFarmerGenocide' hashtag was posted on Twitter which was designed to inflame passions and hatred and is factually incorrect, according to the sources. Twitter had unilaterally unblocked accounts/tweets despite the government order for blocking. Twitter is an intermediary and it is obliged to obey the direction of the government, refusal to do s

Just In

surrey-mayor-brenda-locke-criticizes-metro-vancouver-governance-reforms-as-inadequate
BCJul 27, 2026

Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke criticizes Metro Vancouver governance reforms as inadequate

Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke says Metro Vancouver's decision to reduce the size of its governance board does not address what she describes as longstanding inequities in the regional voting system. According to a statement from Locke, Metro Vancouver's decision to reduce the number of board directors from 45 to 34 will make the board smaller but will not resolve what she called an unfair distribution of voting power. She said the Village of Belcarra, with a population of fewer than 1,000 residents, holds one full vote on the board, while Surrey, despite having a population hundreds of times large
WorldJul 27, 2026

Kaduna Village Attack Leaves About 30 Dead, Including Children

At least 30 people were killed after armed attackers raided a village in Nigeria's northwestern Kaduna state early Monday, according to local residents. The victims include eight children, while four other people were injured. Dogon Rana, secretary to the village chief, said the attackers entered the community, opened fire indiscriminately, and set several homes ablaze. He said many of those killed were women, children, and elderly residents. According to Rana, the attackers fled the area after carrying out the assault. Local residents said security forces arrived in the village several hours
CanadaJul 27, 2026

Etobicoke Uber driver charged after alleged sexual assaults in Burlington

Halton Regional Police have arrested a 25-year-old Etobicoke man in connection with two alleged sexual assaults involving the same woman in Burlington. Police identified the accused as Mandeep Singh and said he was working as an Uber driver at the time of the incident. According to Halton Regional Police, the incident occurred at about 5:15 p.m. on June 16 near the south parking lot of the Burlington GO Station. Investigators allege Singh approached the woman and began speaking with her before sexually assaulting her. Police further allege that after the woman left the area, the accused follow
IndiaJul 27, 2026

Punjab sanitation workers end strike after agreement with government

Sanitation workers in Punjab have announced an end to their strike after reaching an agreement with the Punjab government over their long-pending demands. The decision follows a series of measures announced by the state government, including a substantial increase in monthly wages for sanitation employees. According to the Punjab government, sanitation workers who were previously receiving a monthly salary of ₹10,500 will now receive ₹20,500. The revised wages will be paid from Aug. 1 to sanitation workers and sewermen employed on a contractual basis. The government also announced the form
gunfire-damages-u-s-consulate-building-in-toronto
CanadaJul 27, 2026

Gunfire damages U.S. Consulate building in Toronto

The U.S. Consulate at the intersection of University Avenue and Armoury Street in downtown Toronto was struck by gunfire early Monday morning, according to Toronto Police. No injuries were reported. Deputy Chief Frank Barredo said the shooting occurred at approximately 4:45 a.m. while police officers were already present in the area. Investigators confirmed that at least one bullet struck the front of the consulate building. Police said the suspect fled the scene in a white Honda Accord sedan without licence plates. Officers briefly pursued the vehicle but discontinued the chase out of concern