16.56°C Vancouver

News

man-child-hurt-probe-begins-after-police-involved-shooting-near-merritt-b-c
BCJun 07, 2021

Man, child hurt, probe begins after police-involved shooting near Merritt, B.C.

A man and a child have been seriously injured in a shooting involving police in British Columbia's southern Interior. An RCMP statement says the man and the child, who is believed to be under the age of 12, were in a possibly stolen pickup truck Sunday, when an officer tried to pull it over south of Kamloops and the truck drove off. The truck was spotted again about 90 minutes later near Merritt and police say it did not stop, despite the use of a spike belt. Police say officers fired shots and shots also came from the truck. The man and the child were found in the truck when the chase ended
bc-ferries-sailing-delayed-after-a-passenger-went-overboard
BCJun 07, 2021

BC Ferries sailing delayed after a passenger went overboard

A BC Ferries sailing was delayed yesterday after a passenger went overboard. The Canadian Coast Guard says another person saw the passenger fall from the Queen of Cowichan and alerted ferry crews, who called for search and rescue support. It says the person was located in the waters off Bowen Island and transported by hovercraft to Vancouver's Spanish Banks, where an ambulance was waiting. The person's condition is unknown. BC Ferries on Twitter: #ServiceNotice #HorseshoeBay - #DepartureBay #QueenofCowichan is currently 60 mins behind schedule after assisting with a medical emergency. Full de
moderna-seeks-health-canadas-approval-for-covid-19-vaccine-use-in-kids-12-and-up
CanadaJun 07, 2021

Moderna seeks Health Canada’s approval for COVID-19 vaccine use in kids 12 and up

Moderna is applying to Health Canada today for its COVID-19 vaccine to be approved for use in teenagers. The Massachusetts-based company says a trial of 2,500 youth aged 12 to 17 in the United States indicated the vaccine was 93 per cent to 100 per cent effective against COVID-19.Moderna is the second vaccine maker to apply for approval for youth; the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was authorized for kids as young as 16 in December and for youth 12 to 15 years old in May. Both companies continue to test their vaccines on children as young as six months with hopes to apply for authorization by the fa
free-food-grains-to-80-crore-people-till-diwali-announces-pm-modi
IndiaJun 07, 2021

Free food grains to 80 crore people till Diwali, announces PM Modi

The central government has decided to extend the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Yojana, till Diwali this year, the Prime Minister announced on Monday. "Over 80 crore people in the country will receive free food grains now till Diwali under the scheme, which was launched last year during the Covid-19 induced lockdown.During this pandemic, the government is with the poor. Over 80 crore of our population will get ration till November. Nobody should sleep hungry," PM Modi said today in his address to the nation. "Last year, when we had to impose lockdown due to COVID-19, then under PM Garib Kalyan Yo
rollout-of-second-covid-19-vaccine-doses-in-b-c-leads-to-busy-month
BCJun 05, 2021

Rollout of second COVID-19 vaccine doses in B.C. leads to busy month

Health officials in British Columbia say they are gearing up for a busy month as the province works on the rollout of its second doses of COVID-19 vaccinations. Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix say in a joint statement that 72.4 per cent of all adults in B.C. have received a first dose of a vaccine. They say clinics will be busy dealing with second doses as well as the province's vaccination program for those 12 and older. B.C. recorded 183 new cases of COVID-19 on Friday, for a total of 145,049 cases since the pandemic began. It's the fourth straight
no-injuries-after-school-bus-struck-by-suspected-impaired-driver
BCJun 04, 2021

No injuries after school bus struck by suspected impaired driver

Late Thursday afternoon, around 3:40 p.m., Burnaby RCMP frontline officers responded to a hit and run that had occurred on the street in front of Montecito Elementary in Burnaby.The suspect vehicle, a silver coloured sedan, was reported to have struck a moving school bus belonging to a nearby Catholic school, with children on board.Fortunately, none of the children or the driver were injured.A short time later, Burnaby RCMP Youth Section located a possible suspect vehicle near the Burnaby Mountain Golf Course. A 20-year-old Burnaby man has since been arrested and taken into custody. The suspec
state-of-local-emergency-declared-as-the-skeena-river-bursts-its-banks
BCJun 04, 2021

State of local emergency declared as the Skeena River bursts its banks

The Regional District of Kitimat-Stikine has declared a state of local emergency as the Skeena River bursts its banks after days of heavy rain and rapid snowmelt. The communities of Old Remo and New Remo, southwest of Terrace, have been ordered evacuated, high water threatens about 100 properties and some roads have been washed out, while evacuation alerts are posted for other nearby areas. Flood warnings are in effect for several northwestern BC rivers, including sections of the Skeena, Stikine and Tuya and the River Forecast Centre has also issued flood watches and high streamflow advisorie
b-c-lost-23-000-jobs-in-may-jobs-minister-says-we-see-light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel-but-were-not-there-yet
BCJun 04, 2021

B.C. lost 23,000 jobs in May; Jobs minister says we see light at the end of the tunnel but we’re not there yet

Jobs Minister Ravi Kahlon says although Statistics Canada data shows BC lost roughly 23-thousand part-time jobs in May, 21,000 full-time jobs were created. Kahlon says that's what kept BC's unemployment rate almost static last month at 7 per cent, a dip of one basis point since April. Kahlon says the May figures reflect the difficulties many businesses faced last month during restrictions aimed at slowing the spread of COVID-19. He says BC's restart plan is now rolling out and he hopes it cuts into unemployment that has disproportionately affected workers between the ages of 15 and 24, as wel
pm-trudeau-is-calling-on-the-catholic-church-to-step-up-and-take-responsibility
CanadaJun 04, 2021

PM Trudeau is calling on the Catholic Church to "step up" and take responsibility

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is calling on the Catholic Church to "step up" and take responsibility for its role in Canada's residential school system. Trudeau says as a Catholic he is deeply disappointed by the position the church has taken in dealing with the tragedy. In what appeared to be a thinly veiled threat, Trudeau said he hopes the church bends to public pressure, before the government is forced to take the issue to court. Indigenous communities have long sought an apology from the Pope for the institution's part in the government-sponsored, church-run schools for Indigenous childre

Just In

new-westminster-police-officers-help-rescue-15-residents-from-apartment-fire
BCJul 31, 2026

New Westminster police officers help rescue 15 residents from apartment fire

New Westminster Police Department officers helped rescue 15 residents from a burning apartment building Thursday evening after spotting smoke while working nearby, according to the police department. Police said officers were in the 800 block of 5th Avenue at about 6 p.m. when they became aware of the fire. As they approached the building, they saw several older adults leaning out of windows to avoid the smoke. According to a New Westminster Police Department news release, officers entered the building alongside crews from New Westminster Fire and Rescue Service and assisted 15 residents to sa
BCJul 31, 2026

Coquitlam man faces six firearms charges following Surrey and Coquitlam searches

A 35-year-old Coquitlam man is facing six firearms-related charges after a joint investigation by B.C.'s anti-gang police and the Surrey RCMP Provincial Operations Support Unit. According to the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia (CFSEU-BC), the investigation began in June. On July 16, officers executed search warrants at two residences in the 11500 block of 141A Street in Surrey and the 4300 block of Quarry Road in Coquitlam. Police said investigators seized several firearms during the searches, including two Beretta handguns. Officers arrested Sadiq Azimali Daya at
man-dies-after-fleeing-surrey-traffic-stop-struck-by-vehicle-on-highway-10
BCJul 31, 2026

Man dies after fleeing Surrey traffic stop, struck by vehicle on Highway 10

A man died after being struck by a vehicle while fleeing on foot following a traffic stop in Surrey late Thursday night, according to the Surrey Police Service. Police said an officer stopped a westbound vehicle for a traffic enforcement check at about 11 p.m. in the 15600 block of 56 Avenue, along Highway 10. The driver then exited the vehicle and fled on foot. According to the Surrey Police Service, the man was crossing the roadway when he was struck by an eastbound vehicle. Surrey police officers, Surrey Fire Service crews and BC Emergency Health Services paramedics attempted life-saving me
suspect-arrested-after-firearm-reported-at-new-westminster-shopping-centre
BCJul 31, 2026

Suspect arrested after firearm reported at New Westminster shopping centre

A suspect is facing potential charges after allegedly brandishing a firearm at a patron outside a coffee shop in New Westminster on Wednesday morning, according to the New Westminster Police Department. Police said officers responded to a 9-1-1 call at about 6 a.m. on July 30 after receiving reports that a person had pointed a firearm at someone seated on the patio of a business in the Columbia Square shopping centre. Investigators determined the suspect fled across Columbia Street, passed through a hole in a fence and crossed nearby railway tracks. Officers searched the area with assistance f
b-c-supreme-court-strikes-down-parts-of-mental-health-act-allowing-treatment-without-consent
BCJul 31, 2026

B.C. Supreme Court strikes down parts of Mental Health Act allowing treatment without consent

The B.C. Supreme Court has ruled that portions of the province's Mental Health Act that allow patients to receive psychiatric treatment without their consent are unconstitutional, giving the provincial government six months to amend the legislation. Justice Lauren Blake found that British Columbia was the only province in Canada where patients could be subjected to psychiatric treatment without an assessment of their decision-making capacity. The court concluded that the provisions violate constitutional protections. The ruling comes as the B.C. government is pursuing plans to expand involunta