14.64°C Vancouver

News

number-of-covid-19-cases-in-quebec-go-past-10-000
EnglishApr 08, 2020

Number of COVID-19 cases in Quebec go past 10,000

Quebec has surpassed 10,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and has added 25 more deaths, bringing the provincial death tally to 175. Premier Francois Legault says the silver lining is that hospitalizations are starting to stabilize, but cautions the province still has a way to go. Of the 10,031 confirmed COVID-19 cases, 632 people are hospitalized and 181 are in intensive care. Legault's message to Quebecers today is that keeping seniors safe is the top priority and extra staff and resources are being deployed to long-term care facilities and nursing homes.
BCApr 08, 2020

BC closes all provincial parks due to COVID-19

The British Columbia government is closing all provincial parks to ensure compliance with recommendations to stay at home during the COVID-19 pandemic.A statement from the Environment and Climate Change Ministry says the closure applies to everyone, from B.C. and out-of-province, who may have been planning a trip to a provincial park.Minister George Heyman says efforts were made to provide spaces for exercise and fresh air in the parks but it ``has proven too challenging'' to maintain safe physical distancing of two metres between visitors.The timing of the decision is aimed at heading off Ea
trudeau-promises-relaxed-standards-for-wage-subsidy
EnglishApr 08, 2020

Trudeau promises 'relaxed' standards for wage subsidy

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal wage-subsidy program for employers hit by COVID-19 will have looser standards than previously announced.Rather than having to show a 30 percent decline in revenues, he says they can show a 15 percent decline in March, and can compare their revenues to previous months rather than the previous year.Charities can also choose whether to include revenues from governments in their calculations when they apply.He says businesses need to survive and workers need to get paid if the economy is to ``come roaring back after this crisis.''
deputy-minister-of-foreign-affairs-tests-positive-for-covid-19
CanadaApr 08, 2020

Deputy minister of foreign affairs tests positive for COVID-19

Canada's deputy minister of foreign affairs has tested positive for COVID-19. Marta Morgan has been the top official in the department for just under a year, after leading the Immigration Department, and is the first woman to hold the job. Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne shared the diagnosis on Twitter. He wished Morgan a full and speedy recovery and called her an invaluable part of the foreign-affairs team. Several ministers and MPs have isolated themselves out of concern that they have the respiratory illness but Morgan is the most senior Canadian government figure to test positive. Cha
EnglishApr 08, 2020

COVID-19: BC reports 29 new cases, taking the total to 1,203, 3 new deaths reported

British Columbia medical health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says she's heartened by a decrease in the number of people being diagnosed with COVID-19. There have been 29 new cases since Friday, and Henry says if the province had continued to see the previous acceleration of about 25 per cent she would have been very concerned. She says the curve in the number of cases in B.C. appears to be flattening, which could allow for health care for those who need help both for COVID-19 and other illnesses. The province has recorded three more deaths for a total of 38 deaths among the 1,203 people diagno
EnglishApr 08, 2020

unitCOVID-19: BC reports 29 new cases, taking the total to 1,203, 3 new deaths reported

British Columbia medical health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says she's heartened by a decrease in the number of people being diagnosed with COVID-19. There have been 29 new cases since Friday, and Henry says if the province had continued to see the previous acceleration of about 25 per cent she would have been very concerned. She says the curve in the number of cases in B.C. appears to be flattening, which could allow for health care for those who need help both for COVID-19 and other illnesses. The province has recorded three more deaths for a total of 38 deaths among the 1,203 people diagnosed
punjab-covid-19-patients-family-refuse-to-claim-his-body-district-officials-perform-last-rites
EnglishApr 08, 2020

Punjab COVID-19 patient's family refuse to claim his body, district officials perform last rites

Amritsar district administration on Tuesday performed the last rites of a COVID-19 positive victim after his family refused to claim the body. "On Monday, after a former employee of the civic body here died of coronavirus his family was informed but did not come forward for the last rites. The district administration performed his last rites today after his family refused to claim the body," said Shivdular Singh Dhillon, Deputy Commissioner, Amritsar. According to the health state department, the total count of positive cases in the state stands at 99.
premier-jason-kenney-forecast-models-for-the-covid-19-crisis-in-alberta-predict-400-to-6-600-deaths
EnglishApr 08, 2020

Premier Jason Kenney: forecast models for the COVID-19 crisis in Alberta predict 400 to 6,600 deaths

Premier Jason Kenney says forecast models for the COVID-19 crisis in Alberta predict anywhere from 400 to 6,600 deaths in the months to come. The premier spoke to the province in a televised address tonight. Kenney says where the numbers go depends largely on the behaviour of Albertans. Alberta is under strict public health orders that clamp down on non-essential businesses and restrict public gatherings to no more than 15 people. Kenney says those orders will be in place at least until the end of the month, with social distancing rules likely in place until the end of May.
saskatchewan-public-safety-agency-397-calls-about-potential-covid-19-violations
EnglishApr 08, 2020

Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency: 397 calls about potential COVID-19 violations

The Saskatchewan Public Safety Agency says nearly 400 calls have come in about potential COVID-19 violations. Complaints have come in through a toll-free phone line launched by the province to handle pandemic-related questions. Since about March 28, the same week as the line officially launched, the agency says it has received 397 calls about potential violations. Police in Regina confirmed Tuesday that a 23 year old woman was ticketed nearly $3,000 for violating a health order was positive with COVID-19.

Just In

carney-says-alberta-central-to-canadas-future-after-smith-referendum-announcement
CanadaMay 22, 2026

Carney says Alberta central to Canada’s future after Smith referendum announcement

Prime Minister Mark Carney says Alberta remains a critical part of Canada’s future after Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced plans to include a separation question in a provincial referendum scheduled for Oct. 19. According to statements made Friday on Parliament Hill, the Alberta government plans to ask voters whether the province should remain part of Canada or pursue separation through a legal process. Carney said Canada is functioning as a successful country and described Alberta as essential to the country’s continued economic and political development. He said the federal govern
CanadaMay 22, 2026

China’s foreign minister to visit Canada next week amid improving bilateral ties

China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi is scheduled to visit Canada from May 28 to 30 in what officials describe as a step toward strengthening diplomatic and economic ties between the two countries. The visit will mark the first trip to Canada by a Chinese foreign minister in nearly a decade. Speaking at a press conference in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Guo Jiakun said relations between China and Canada have recently improved and that both countries are working toward what he described as a “new type of strategic partnership.” According to the Chinese foreign ministry, Beij
alberta-voters-to-weigh-referendum-question-on-provinces-future-in-canada-on-oct-19-says-premier-smith
FeaturedMay 22, 2026

Alberta voters to weigh referendum question on province’s future in Canada on Oct. 19, says Premier Smith

Albertans will take part in a province-wide referendum on Oct. 19 that will ask voters to weigh in on Alberta’s future relationship with Canada, Premier Danielle Smith announced Thursday evening during a televised address. Smith said the provincial government plans to include a new “blended question” on the ballot aimed at reflecting the views of both groups advocating for Alberta to remain within Canada and those supporting greater sovereignty or separation. She said the wording was developed with input from the pro-Canada group Forever Canadian and the separatist group Stay Free Albert
poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate