16.37°C Vancouver

News

no-new-cases-of-covid-19-in-p-e-i-some-modelling-numbers-released-for-the-province
CanadaApr 14, 2020

No new cases of COVID-19 in P.E.I., some modelling numbers released for the province

Prince Edward Island is not reporting any new cases of COVID-19 Tuesday, leaving the provincial total at 25 cases. Chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison says 23 of those cases are considered recovered. Modelling released Tuesday shows the province could have up to nine deaths from the pandemic by June 1, but that could have been 900 if the province hadn't taken the public health measures it did.
dr-theresa-tam-outbreaks-in-long-term-care-homes-are-the-most-pressing-epidemic-problem-facing-the-nation
CanadaApr 14, 2020

Dr. Theresa Tam: Outbreaks in long-term care homes are the most pressing epidemic problem facing the nation

The country's chief public health officer says COVID-19 outbreaks in long-term care homes are the most pressing epidemic problem facing the nation. Dr. Theresa Tam says in all, Canada had seen nearly 27,000 confirmed and presumptive cases of coronavirus disease, more than 800 of them fatal, and nearly half of the deaths have been in long term care facilities. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says all levels of government need to do what they can to stop the spread of the virus among seniors. Meantime, just as BC has done, Ontario Premier Doug Ford has announced a new measure to limit care worker
seniors-home-in-toronto-reports-death-of-25-residents-from-covid-19
CanadaApr 14, 2020

Seniors' home in Toronto reports death of 25 residents from COVID-19

A seniors' home in Toronto says a total of 25 residents have died from COVID-19. Eatonville Care Centre, in the city's west end, says the number has jumped due to new Toronto Public Health reporting guidelines. Executive director Evelyn MacDonald says the deaths of nine residents due to unknown causes can now be attributed to COVID-19. MacDonald says there are 49 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the home with six more test results are pending.
covid-19-ontario-reports-highest-number-of-deaths-in-a-single-day-so-far
CanadaApr 14, 2020

COVID-19: Ontario reports highest number of deaths in a single day so far

Ontario says there are 483 new COVID-19 cases today and 43 new deaths. That brings the province to a total of 7,953 cases, including 334 deaths and 3,568 cases that have been resolved. It's an increase of 6.5 per cent over yesterday's total, continuing a relatively low growth rate over the past several days.
75-more-covid-19-deaths-reported-in-quebec-taking-the-total-number-of-deaths-to-435
CanadaApr 14, 2020

75 more COVID-19 deaths reported in Quebec, taking the total number of deaths to 435

Quebec has recorded another 75 deaths connected to COVID-19, bringing the total to 435. Premier Francois Legault says the province now has a total of 14,248 confirmed cases, an increase of 691. The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients has risen to 936, and of those 230 are in intensive care, an increase of four from Monday. Legault says the biggest problem is in the province's understaffed long-term care centres, and he issued an appeal for any health-care workers to step forward to help.
government-enacts-stricter-quarantine-measures-for-returnees-to-canada
CanadaApr 14, 2020

Government enacts stricter quarantine measures for returnees to Canada

Starting at midnight, the federal government says all people returning to Canada will have to check in to a hotel or other designated site unless they have an acceptable self-quarantine plan.The government says returnees whether they have COVID-19 symptoms or not must have an appropriate isolation plan that includes access to food and medicine.They will also be forbidden to live with vulnerable people, such as anyone older than 65 or with pre-existing health conditions.If a returnee lacks a credible plan, they will need to quarantine in a location, such as a hotel, designated by Canada's chie
BCApr 14, 2020

TransLink losing $75 million a month, seeks emergency funding

The agency that handles transit for the Metro Vancouver area is warning of ``unprecedented cuts to service'' if it does not receive emergency funding relief from the federal and provincial governments.TransLink CEO Kevin Desmond says the company is losing $75 million every month because of the COVID-19 pandemic.Desmond says TransLink has done its best to keep essential services operating, but has seen revenue cut in half since mid-March, and he warns of ``cashflow issues within weeks.''TransLink operates bus, SkyTrain, Sea Bus and West Coast Express commuter train services across Metro Vancou
india-pm-modi-extends-national-lockdown-to-may-3
WorldApr 14, 2020

India PM Modi extends national lockdown to May 3

India's prime minister announces extension to the country's lockdown for 1.3 billion people until May 3, but says there may be some easing in restrictions in people's movement after one week to help the poor daily wage earners and those working in agriculture sector.In an address to the nation on radio and television on Tuesday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said the lockdown will be eased only in areas which do not show any deterioration in the spread of coronavirus.He said India has paid a big economic price by imposing the lockdown, but it was much better placed than many other countries as
recovered-covid-19-patient-alleges-harassment-at-hands-of-neighbours-in-mps-shivpuri-puts-house-on-sale
EnglishApr 14, 2020

Recovered COVID-19 patient alleges harassment at hands of neighbours in MP's Shivpuri, puts house on sale

A youth from Shivpuri, who had contracted coronavirus and was released following treatment and testing negative for the infection, has alleged that his family is being harassed by his neighbours, which has forced him to put his house on sale. "I have been working outside for the past eight-nine years. Upon learning of the COVID-19 pandemic, I returned to India on March 18, on 19th I went to the hospital and tests were conducted on March 21 which showed that I was borderline positive for COVID-19. The hospital management and administration fully cooperated with me and motivated me. Following t

Just In

poilievre-says-conservatives-would-campaign-against-alberta-separation-referendum
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Poilievre says Conservatives would campaign against Alberta separation referendum

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre says he and all Conservative MPs would campaign to keep Alberta in Canada if a referendum on separation is held in the province. Poilievre said the party would take the same position in Quebec if a Parti Québécois government were elected and moved ahead with a sovereignty referendum there. The comments come as Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is expected to deliver a televised address later today. Her United Conservative government is considering whether to include a question related to Alberta’s future within Canada in a series of referendums planned for
alberta-premier-to-deliver-televised-address-amid-renewed-separation-referendum-debate
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta premier to deliver televised address amid renewed separation referendum debate

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to deliver a televised address Thursday evening amid renewed political debate over a possible referendum on Alberta’s future within Confederation. The address is set to air at 6:45 p.m. on CTV, Global and Rogers television networks and will also be livestreamed on the premier’s social media channels. The appearance follows controversy at a United Conservative Party caucus committee meeting Wednesday, where members debated a motion urging Smith to call an Oct. 19 referendum on Alberta’s place in Canada. The motion, introduced by UCP member Nate
alberta-premier-danielle-smith-announces-cabinet-shuffle-amid-referendum-process
AlbertaMay 21, 2026

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announces cabinet shuffle amid referendum process

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith announced a cabinet shuffle Thursday, with several senior ministers receiving new portfolios as the provincial government continues work related to a proposed referendum process in the province. Lieutenant Governor Salma Lakhani administered the oath of office to the newly appointed ministers during a ceremony in Edmonton. Jason Nixon was appointed Alberta’s new finance minister, while Adriana LaGrange returned to the hospitals and surgical health services portfolio. Tara Sawyer was named minister of agriculture and irrigation. Nathan Neudorf was appointed mini
carney-eby-discuss-fast-tracking-major-projects-during-vancouver-meeting
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Carney, Eby discuss fast-tracking major projects during Vancouver meeting

Prime Minister Mark Carney and British Columbia Premier David Eby held a closed-door meeting in Vancouver on Wednesday, where both leaders discussed a new co-operation agreement aimed at accelerating development projects across the province. Following the meeting, Carney said closer collaboration between federal and provincial governments would help strengthen Canada’s economy and move major projects forward more quickly. He said governments can achieve more when they work together and added that economic growth remains a priority. Earlier in the day, the prime minister addressed a business
unions-raise-concerns-over-possible-changes-to-federal-labour-laws-in-canada
CanadaMay 21, 2026

Unions raise concerns over possible changes to federal labour laws in Canada

Several Canadian unions are raising concerns over potential changes to federal labour laws being considered by Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government, warning the move could limit workers’ right to strike. According to reports, the federal government circulated a discussion paper on April 17 seeking feedback from selected stakeholders, including representatives from the airline, port, railway, telecommunications and banking sectors. Union groups say they are concerned the government could expand the number of workplaces classified as “essential services,” a designation that can restri