17.29°C Vancouver

News

canada-loses-84-000-jobs-in-february-as-unemployment-rate-rises-to-6-7
CanadaMar 13, 2026

Canada loses 84,000 jobs in February as unemployment rate rises to 6.7%

Canada’s economy lost 84,000 jobs in February, pushing the national unemployment rate up by 0.2 percentage points to 6.7 per cent, according to new data released Friday by Statistics Canada. The agency said the drop represents the largest monthly employment decline outside the COVID-19 lockdown period in about 17 years. Job losses were recorded across both goods-producing and service-producing sectors. Retail and wholesale trade alone saw about 18,000 positions disappear during the month, the report said. Employment losses were particularly concentrated among men aged 25 to 54 and youth betw
two-men-charged-after-abbotsford-bank-robbery-on-sumas-way
BCMar 12, 2026

Two men charged after Abbotsford bank robbery on Sumas Way

Two men have been charged following a bank robbery investigation in Abbotsford last month, according to the Abbotsford Police Department. Police say officers responded around 5:23 p.m. on Feb. 6 to a report of a robbery at a bank in the 2100 block of Sumas Way. Investigators say a man entered the bank, demanded money, and left with cash before fleeing in a waiting truck. No injuries were reported. The department’s Major Crime Unit took over the investigation and gathered evidence over several weeks that led detectives across the Lower Mainland, police said in a news release. On March 10, inv
vancouver-lapu-lapu-day-festival-to-return-april-19-with-new-safety-measures-after-2025-attack
BCMar 12, 2026

Vancouver Lapu Lapu Day festival to return April 19 with new safety measures after 2025 attack

Organizers say Vancouver’s annual Lapu Lapu Day festival will return April 19, nearly a year after a vehicle ramming attack at last year’s event killed 11 people. Filipino BC announced the gathering will be held at the Italian Cultural Centre rather than on surrounding community streets, saying the venue change is intended to prioritize safety while allowing the Filipino community to come together for reflection. According to a statement from the organization, this year’s event will be called the “Lapu Lapu Day of Togetherness,” focusing on shared reflection and healing following the
rcmp-seize-large-quantities-of-drugs-firearms-in-southeast-district-trafficking-investigation
BCMar 12, 2026

RCMP seize large quantities of drugs, firearms in Southeast District trafficking investigation

A drug trafficking investigation led by the RCMP Federal Policing Pacific Region’s Drugs and Organized Crime Team in Kelowna has resulted in the seizure of large quantities of illicit drugs, firearms and cash following coordinated searches in Kelowna and Penticton. According to an RCMP statement, investigators began the probe in 2024 into suspected drug trafficking activity in the Southeast District. On Dec. 17, 2025, officers executed search warrants on two vehicles and three residences in Kelowna and Penticton with assistance from the Kelowna, West Kelowna and Penticton RCMP detachments, a
police-investigate-early-morning-shots-fired-in-surreys-cloverdale-neighbourhood
CanadaMar 12, 2026

Police investigate early-morning shots fired in Surrey’s Cloverdale neighbourhood

Surrey Police Service and the RCMP Surrey Provincial Operations Support Unit are investigating a report of shots fired early Thursday morning in the Cloverdale area of Surrey. Police said officers responded at about 4:35 a.m. to reports of gunfire in the 19500 block of 65 Avenue. According to a police release, officers arriving at the scene located multiple shell casings in the area. Investigators also found damage to a nearby residence that may be connected to the shooting. Police said no injuries have been reported. The RCMP Surrey Provincial Operations Support Unit General Investigation Uni
chilliwack-rcmp-seek-witnesses-dash-cam-footage-after-assault-victim-dies-in-hospital
BCMar 12, 2026

Chilliwack RCMP seek witnesses, dash cam footage after assault victim dies in hospital

The Chilliwack RCMP Serious Crime Unit is asking the public for information as investigators examine whether an earlier assault contributed to the death of a 49-year-old man. Police said officers were notified on March 7 that the man, who had been assaulted on Feb. 21, died in hospital. According to an RCMP news release, investigators believe the assault may have been a contributing factor in the death and the Serious Crime Unit has taken over the investigation. The incident is believed to have occurred around 11:30 p.m. on Feb. 21 along Railway Avenue near Young Road. Police say the victim an
indias-supreme-court-grants-bail-to-two-accused-in-sidhu-moosewala-murder-case
IndiaMar 12, 2026

India’s Supreme Court grants bail to two accused in Sidhu Moosewala murder case

The Supreme Court of India has granted bail to two accused – Pawan Bishnoi and Jagtar Singh – in the 2022 killing of Punjabi singer Sidhu Moosewala. According to court proceedings, the decision was based on the length of time the accused have already spent in custody and the pace of the ongoing trial. The high-profile case continues to be heard in courts in the state of Punjab. Court records show that charges have been framed against 27 accused so far in connection with the killing. Several suspects remain in jail, while others have been granted bail during the course of legal proceedings.
carney-to-take-private-vacation-in-uk-and-italy-after-norway-uk-visits
CanadaMar 12, 2026

Carney to take private vacation in UK and Italy after Norway, UK visits

Prime Minister Mark Carney is expected to remain in Europe for a short private vacation following official visits to Norway and the United Kingdom, according to reports about his upcoming travel schedule. Carney is scheduled to depart on March 13 for Norway before continuing to the United Kingdom for meetings with political leaders. The Prime Minister’s Office says the trip will focus on defence cooperation, global economic shifts and international security issues. During his time in London, Carney is expected to meet British Prime Minister Keir Starmer. According to officials, the discussio
treaty-6-leaders-raise-alberta-separatism-concerns-during-meeting-with-king-charles
AlbertaMar 12, 2026

Treaty 6 leaders raise Alberta separatism concerns during meeting with King Charles

The grand chief of the Confederacy of Treaty Six First Nations says Indigenous leaders raised concerns about Alberta separatism during a recent meeting with King Charles III at Buckingham Palace. Grand Chief Joey Pete said the King was “very interested” in hearing directly from Treaty 6 leadership and listened closely as chiefs described issues affecting First Nations in the region, including political discussions in Alberta about possible separation from Canada. Pete said the King expressed concern after hearing about the issue and told leaders he would seek to learn more. According to Pe

Just In

carney-smith-expected-to-unveil-alberta-industrial-carbon-pricing-deal-tied-to-pipeline-plan
CanadaMay 15, 2026

Carney, Smith expected to unveil Alberta industrial carbon pricing deal tied to pipeline plan

Prime Minister Mark Carney and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith are expected to announce an agreement Friday on the future of industrial carbon pricing in Alberta, a move both governments have linked to plans for a new bitumen export pipeline to Canada’s West Coast. According to a source familiar with the discussions, the agreement would see Alberta’s industrial emissions price rise to an effective rate of $130 per tonne by 2040. Alberta froze its industrial carbon price at $95 per tonne last year. The expected announcement follows a memorandum of understanding signed by Ottawa and Alberta i
AlbertaMay 15, 2026

Re-entry to begin for some evacuees after Woodlands County wildfire holds steady

Some residents forced from their homes earlier this week due to a wildfire northwest of Edmonton could begin returning Friday as fire conditions stabilize in parts of Woodlands County. Woodlands County officials said on social media that re-entry is expected to begin for residents in Zone 1 only, while evacuation orders for other affected areas remain in place. Residents returning to the area are being asked to complete a waiver because the wildfire is still considered active. About 140 residents were ordered to evacuate Monday as crews responded to a wildfire near the town of Whitecourt, loca
CanadaMay 15, 2026

Indian man pleads guilty in cross-border human smuggling case linked to Canada–U.S. route

A 22-year-old Indian national has pleaded guilty in a U.S. court in connection with a human smuggling network accused of moving Indian migrants from Canada into the United States illegally, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Authorities allege Shivam Lnu was involved in a cross-border operation that transported migrants from Canada into New York State between October 2024 and June 2025. Investigators said the network later arranged travel for migrants to other parts of the United States. According to the Justice Department, Shivam’s role included coordinating drivers, arranging pic
man-pleads-guilty-to-manslaughter-in-fatal-coquitlam-pub-stabbing
BCMay 14, 2026

Man pleads guilty to manslaughter in fatal Coquitlam pub stabbing

A 33-year-old man has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in connection with a fatal stabbing outside a pub in Coquitlam last year, according to homicide investigators. The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said Timothy Vansnick was originally charged with second-degree murder following the incident on Jan. 31, 2025. Police said the stabbing occurred after a fight outside the pub. Bystanders attempted first aid before emergency responders continued life-saving efforts, but the victim died at the scene. Investigators said Vansnick was charged with second-degree murder on Feb. 1, 2025. On Tuesda
water-restored-in-parts-of-kamloops-but-boil-water-advisory-and-restrictions-remain
BCMay 14, 2026

Water restored in parts of Kamloops, but boil water advisory and restrictions remain

Water service has been restored to parts of Kamloops following a major water main break in the city’s east end, but officials say the supply remains unsafe to drink as repair work continues. The City of Kamloops said potable water trucks will remain stationed at four locations in the affected area through Friday to provide residents with safe drinking water. According to the city, residents are also being asked to temporarily stop using water again until 6 p.m. Thursday while crews complete what officials described as a critical repair to the damaged main. City officials said the temporary s