18.79°C Vancouver

News

tim-hortons-to-provide-only-take-out-drive-thru-and-delivery-amid-covid-19-concerns
CanadaMar 16, 2020

Tim Hortons to provide only take-out, drive-thru and delivery amid COVID-19 concerns

Restaurant Brands International Inc. says it is asking Canadian Tim Hortons restaurant owners to provide take-out, drive-thru and delivery only in an effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19.The company says it is closing all dining room seating effective Tuesday.The closures will continue until future notice.The change comes as governments across the country urge Canadians to engage in social distancing to slow the spread of the virus.Restaurant Brands says if there are further instructions from public health officials it will take further steps. Starbucks made a similar announcement over the
border-agency-adds-screening-questions-after-complaints-about-airport-disarray
CanadaMar 16, 2020

Border agency adds screening questions after complaints about airport disarray

The Canada Border Services Agency says it is adding new screening questions for travellers arriving in Canada, asking whether they have symptoms of COVID-19.The agency took heat all weekend for apparent disarray at entry points, especially airports. While the federal government wants people returning to Canada from abroad to stay in isolation for 14 days, some travellers reported customs officials weren't routinely providing the direction to new arrivals.The union representing Canada's border officers, which is set to meet with the agency later today, also raised concerns last week about a lac
vancouver-vaisakhi-parade-cancelled-because-of-covid-19
BCMar 16, 2020

Vancouver Vaisakhi parade cancelled because of COVID-19

The annual Vancouver Vaisakhi parade has been cancelled due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic.The parade was scheduled to happen on April 18, 2020.Each year this celebration draws over 150,000 spectators.It’s the first time in the event’s 41 year history that it’s been cancelled.Organizers said they look forward to everyone’s participation and enjoyment in next year’s parade.
WorldMar 16, 2020

U.S. Fed slashes benchmark rate by 1%

The U.S. Federal Reserve is taking emergency action and slashing its benchmark interest rate by a full percentage point to nearly zero. It's also purchasing more Treasury securities to encourage lending in a bid to offset the impact of the coronavirus outbreak.Ottawa has made 10-billion-dollars available to businesses through a credit facility program. The Bank of Canada earlier cut its trend-setting interest rate by half-a-percentage point to three-quarters of a per cent.
BCMar 15, 2020

City of Surrey recreational facilities closed effective tomorrow

City of Surrey Recreation Centres, Ice Arenas, Pools and Libraries will be closed effective tomorrow (Monday, March 16) until further notice. Mayor Doug McCallum has directed the closure of all City of Surrey Recreation Centres, Ice Arenas, Pools and Libraries to minimize the risk of transmission of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Full refunds will be provided to anyone who has registered for activities affected by the closure and library due dates will be suspended during this period. “Given the ongoing concerns surrounding COVID-19, I am taking a proactive approach to ensure the health and saf
ready-for-floor-test-will-speak-to-speaker-about-it-kamal-nath
IndiaMar 15, 2020

Ready for floor test, will speak to Speaker about it: Kamal Nath

Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath on Sunday met Governor Lalji Tandon here and said that he is ready for the floor test in the state Assembly and will speak to the Speaker about it."I received Governor's phone call, he called me here to meet him to discuss the smooth functioning of the state Assembly. I told the Governor that I will speak to the Speaker tomorrow. It (floor test) will be decided by Speaker," Nath told reporters after meeting the Governor."I have told the Governor that I am ready for the floor test and the MLAs who have been held captive should be released. I will speak t
with-313-cases-nationwide-situation-serious-now-dr-theresa-tam
CanadaMar 15, 2020

341 coronavirus cases nationwide. Dr. Tam says situation “serious” now.

There are now 341 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Canada. All 10 provinces report cases either confirmed or presumptive. At a briefing today in Ottawa, Dr. Theresa Tam, the head of the Public Health Agency of Canada, calls the situation “serious”.She says the window for controlling the virus is narrowing.Tam says all the medical officers of health in Canada agree things like travel, and large gathering of 250 people or more must be cancelled.
BCMar 14, 2020

9 new coronavirus cases reported in B.C.

Public health officials say there are nine new cases of COVID-19 in British Columbia.Dr. Bonnie Henry says the new cases bring the provincial total up to 73.Five cases are connected to a cluster at the Lynn Valley Care Centre, one case is linked to travel from Portugal and the remaining three cases are under investigation.Henry says the province is also adapting its testing strategy, noting more cases are expected in the coming days.She says not everyone needs to get tested, even if they have recently travelled outside of Canada.
government-asks-travelling-canadians-to-return
CanadaMar 14, 2020

Government asks travelling Canadians to return

The federal government says any Canadian who's abroad should get back home while it's still possible. That's a step up from previous advice, which urged travellers outside the country to think about doing so. Foreign Affairs Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne tweeted the new recommendation. He warns that commercial travel options might not remain available amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Some countries have already taken measures such as stopping or sharply limiting air traffic.

Just In

federal-appeal-court-grants-b-c-ostriches-stay-of-cull-pending-review
BCJun 20, 2025

Federal Appeal Court grants B.C. ostriches stay of cull pending review

The Federal Court of Appeal has granted a stay that pauses the potential cull of nearly 400 ostriches at a B.C. farm. Court records show that a motion to pause plans for the cull, pending an appeal, was granted this afternoon in Ottawa. The owners of Universal Ostrich Farm in Edgewood, B.C., have been fighting an order from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency to cull their flock after it was hit with an avian flu outbreak last year. Katie Pasitney, whose mother co-owns the farm, thanked supporters in a post on social media, saying the ``next phase of the battle'' will allow the farm to pus
canadas-audrey-leduc-finishes-7th-at-paris-diamond-league
CanadaJun 20, 2025

Canada's Audrey Leduc finishes 7th at Paris Diamond League

Canadian sprinter Audrey Leduc finished seventh in the 200m at the Diamond League World Championships in Paris. The 26-year-old sprinter from Quebec finished the event in 22.90 seconds. In this event, America's Anavia Battle (22.27 seconds) took first place, while Great Britain's Amy Hunt (22.45 seconds) took second place and America's Mackenzie Long (22.49 seconds) took third place. Audrey Leduc is the Canadian record holder in the 200-meter event, which she set in May of last year with a timing of 22:36 seconds. Her season best timing this year is 22:80 seconds.
missing-youth-for-location-edris-azizi
CanadaJun 20, 2025

Missing youth for location – Edris Azizi

Surrey Police Service (SPS) is requesting the public’s assistance in locating a missing 10-year-old male. Edris Azizi left his residence in the 13100 block of 103A Street at 8:15 am this morning. He did not arrive at a neighbourhood school as anticipated. Edris Azizi stands 4’8” tall with a slim build and black hair. He was last seen wearing a black t-shirt and black cargo pants with a colourful backpack. He may be riding an electric scooter. Anyone with information concerning the whereabouts of Edris should contact SPS at 604-599-0502 and quote file 25-50787 (SP).
highway-1-at-tank-hill-closed-overnight-for-scheduled-construction
BCJun 20, 2025

Highway 1 at Tank Hill closed overnight for scheduled construction

Drivers are advised of an overnight closure on Highway 1 at Tank Hill, 14 kilometres east of Lytton, to allow for the placement of concrete on the new structure over the CPKC Railway. Highway 1 through the Fraser Canyon will be closed in both directions beginning midnight on Monday, June 23, 2025, until 9 a.m. on Tuesday, June 24, 2025. Checkpoints will be set up at Lytton and Spences Bridge to provide travellers with information about alternative routes. Gladwin area and Nicomen River Road will remain accessible to local traffic. All other traffic will be detoured via Highway 12, Highway 5 a
more-information-has-emerged-about-the-missing-22-year-old-indian-origin-student-sahil-kumar
CanadaJun 20, 2025

More information has emerged about the missing 22-year-old Indian-origin student Sahil Kumar

More information has emerged about Sahil Kumar, a 22-year-old Indian-origin student who was found dead in Hamilton, Ontario, 10 days after he went missing. Sahil was last seen on May 16 and it is learnt that he took the Jio train to Toronto that day, the reason behind which is still unclear. Police said he left Union Station and headed towards York Street and was last seen near Yonge and Dundas Streets around 1 pm. His cell phone was switched off around 1:30 pm that day. According to his cousin Amit Singh, Sahil's body was found on the Toronto waterfront on May 26, which has now been sent