25.88°C Vancouver

News

CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada Confirms Trade Deal With U.S.; Details Expected Friday

Prime Minister Mark Carney has confirmed that Canada is moving toward a trade agreement with the United States, saying it will deliver the best possible deal across the country’s most important sectors. U.S. Ambassador to Canada Pete Hoekstra welcomed the progress and credited President Donald Trump for the development. Details of the interim agreement could be released by Friday, with Canada reportedly making progress on reducing sector-specific tariffs. The deal could help bring an end to the trade war that has continued between the two countries for the past year and a half.
canada-u-s-trade-deal-trump-announces-no-new-tariffs-auto-tariffs-to-get-relief
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada-U.S. Trade Deal: Trump Announces No New Tariffs, Auto Tariffs to Get Relief

Canada-U.S. trade relations could be entering a new phase. U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday while speaking to reporters in Washington that no new tariffs will be imposed on goods coming from Canada. He also announced some relief from the tariffs imposed on Canadian automobiles. Trump described the proposed trade agreement as a “great” deal for American farmers and a very good deal for both countries. Meanwhile, during a meeting with Canadian Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc in Washington, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told reporters that the two countries had reached an
two-arrested-in-brampton-online-dating-extortion-case
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Two Arrested in Brampton Online Dating Extortion Case

Peel Regional Police in Ontario have arrested a Punjabi man and a woman in connection with an alleged extortion scheme in Brampton involving an online dating platform. Police identified the accused as 35-year-old Harwinder Singh and 23-year-old Ria. Both have been charged with extortion, robbery and forcible confinement related to an e-transfer. Singh is also facing an additional charge of uttering threats. According to Peel police, in July, a victim was contacted through a messaging app by a fake profile using the name “Manisha Sharma.” The two later arranged to meet at a basement apartme
poilievre-targets-liberal-government-over-catch-and-release-bail-system
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Poilievre Targets Liberal Government Over ‘Catch-and-Release’ Bail System

The issue of bail for serious offenders in Canada has once again come under the spotlight. Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has criticized the Liberal government, accusing it of allowing dangerous offenders to remain in the community because of what he calls weak bail laws. Poilievre pointed to a recent incident in Windsor, Ont., involving 22-year-old Qasim Sabi, who has been accused of sexually assaulting two young boys. Police say Sabi was already facing allegations in an earlier case and was out under court-ordered conditions when the latest incidents allegedly occurred. According to po
canadas-wildfire-season-could-rank-among-countrys-worst-on-record
CanadaAug 19, 2026

Canada’s wildfire season could rank among country’s worst on record

Canada’s 2026 wildfire season is on track to become the country’s fourth-worst on record, with millions of hectares already affected and hundreds of fires still active. Federal Emergency Management Minister Eleanor Olszewski said during a virtual briefing Tuesday evening that the country remains in the middle of the wildfire season, with some regions facing difficult and uncertain conditions. According to the federal government, about 4.1 million hectares have been affected by wildfires so far this season. Roughly 580 fires are currently active across Canada, including about 30 that remain
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Petition to Remove U.S. Ambassador Pete Hoekstra Surpasses 225,000 Signatures

A petition calling for the removal of U.S. Ambassador to Canada Pete Hoekstra has surpassed 225,000 signatures, reflecting growing opposition to his comments and actions in Canada. The petition, launched by Calgary woman Lee Walker, alleges that Hoekstra’s statements have undermined Canada’s sovereignty. It calls for him to be declared persona non grata under the rules of the United Nations’ Vienna Convention and expelled from Canada. However, experts say Hoekstra’s actions have not reached the threshold that would normally justify such a diplomatic step. Green Party Leader Elizabeth M
canadian-exports-face-50-per-cent-tariff-threat-as-carney-speaks-with-trump
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Canadian exports face 50 per cent tariff threat as Carney speaks with Trump

Prime Minister Mark Carney spoke by phone with U.S. President Donald Trump on Monday evening as Canada faces the prospect of 50 per cent tariffs on some exports. Neither government has released details of the discussion. The tariff deadline is now less than 24 hours away. The federal government has indicated that Ottawa could respond with countermeasures if the U.S. tariffs take effect, raising the possibility of further escalation in the Canada-U.S. trade dispute. The new U.S. tariffs are expected to affect more than $20 billion worth of Canadian exports. Reports citing sources familiar with
historic-energy-deal-reached-between-quebec-and-newfoundland-and-labrador
CanadaAug 17, 2026

Historic Energy Deal Reached Between Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced a historic energy agreement between Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador, raising hopes that the decades-old dispute between the two provinces over the Churchill River hydroelectric projects will finally come to an end. The energy projects, worth approximately $70 billion, will also receive significant support from the federal government. Ottawa has announced $10 billion in financial assistance for the expansion of the Churchill Falls power projects, the Gull Island hydroelectric project and a 2,000-megawatt onshore wind energy project in Labrador. Prim

Just In

18-year-old-shooting-suspect-turns-himself-in-to-burnaby-rcmp
BCAug 21, 2026

18-year-old shooting suspect turns himself in to Burnaby RCMP

A suspect wanted in connection with a December 2025 shooting in North Burnaby has turned himself in to authorities. Burnaby RCMP said officers responded on Dec. 19, 2025, to a report of a shooting near Phillips Avenue and Woodbrook Place. A man was found suffering from gunshot wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment. The RCMP’s Investigative Support Team took over the investigation. On Dec. 25, charges were laid and an arrest warrant was issued for 18-year-old Ronin Tajali. Tajali has since surrendered to police and remains in custody awaiting a bail hearing. Police thanked the public
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Leaders Condemn Nanaksar Gurdwara Attack, Call for Action Against Anti-Sikh Hate

Federal NDP MP for Edmonton Strathcona Heather McPherson, along with leaders from across the country, has strongly condemned the attack at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib and expressed solidarity with the Sikh community. They called for a full investigation into the incident, urging authorities to take the growing anti-Sikh hatred in Canada seriously and implement stronger measures to protect places of worship. McPherson said everyone has the right to practise their religion freely and that such violent attacks are unacceptable under any circumstances. Meanwhile, Surrey-Newton MP Sukh Dhaliwal express
poilievre-warns-accepting-u-s-tariffs-could-devastate-canadas-industrial-sector
BCAug 21, 2026

Poilievre Warns Accepting U.S. Tariffs Could Devastate Canada’s Industrial Sector

Conservative Party Leader Pierre Poilievre has lashed out at the Liberal government during ongoing Canada-U.S. trade talks in Washington, warning that accepting unilateral U.S. tariffs could devastate Canada’s industrial sector. Speaking to reporters in Kitchener, Ontario, Poilievre strongly criticized the proposed 25 per cent U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum. He said that if Canada accepts such discriminatory terms, major Canadian businesses and factories could leave the country, causing long-term damage to the Canadian economy. Taking aim at Prime Minister Mark Carney, Poilievre said Car
AlbertaAug 21, 2026

Edmonton Nanaksar Gurdwara Stabbing Leaves Two Injured, Suspect Arrested

A stabbing incident at Nanaksar Gurdwara Sahib in Edmonton early Friday morning left two people injured. Police have arrested a suspect at the scene. According to police, the incident occurred at around 5:08 a.m. at the gurdwara located near 14 Street and Horsehills Road. The two injured individuals were treated at the scene, and their injuries were considered non-life-threatening. Police are questioning the arrested suspect, while officers continue their investigation in and around the gurdwara to ensure the safety of the congregation. Meanwhile, the World Sikh Organization of Canada said in
42-year-old-man-charged-in-immigration-fraud-case-arrest-warrant-issued
CanadaAug 21, 2026

42-Year-Old Man Charged in Immigration Fraud Case, Arrest Warrant Issued

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has laid five charges against 42-year-old Abul Qasim for allegedly helping people enter Canada illegally and committing immigration fraud. An arrest warrant has also been issued for him. According to the CBSA, Qasim previously lived in Montreal but left Canada in June 2025 and is believed to be currently outside the country. The arrest warrant was issued after he failed to appear in response to a summons issued by a Montreal court. The CBSA began investigating the alleged scheme in 2024 after receiving confidential information from Immigration, Refugees