19.79°C Vancouver

News

two-homes-damaged-by-fire-in-port-coquitlam-about-12-people-displaced
BCAug 17, 2026

Two homes damaged by fire in Port Coquitlam, about 12 people displaced

About 12 people were displaced after a fire damaged two adjoining homes on the 1900 block of Langan Avenue in Port Coquitlam on Sunday morning. Port Coquitlam Fire and Emergency Services sent more than 20 firefighters and an aerial ladder truck to the scene. Deputy Fire Chief Jason Marshall said crews arrived at about 10 a.m. to find both homes involved in the fire. One firefighter was injured while crews worked to contain the blaze. According to officials, the firefighter was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital. The injuries were not considered life-threatening. Both homes sus
peter-milobar-announces-departure-from-b-c-conservative-caucus
BCAug 14, 2026

Peter Milobar Announces Departure from B.C. Conservative Caucus

Senior B.C. Conservative MLA Peter Milobar has formally announced that he is leaving the party caucus, effective immediately. He will now sit as an independent MLA for Kamloops Centre in the B.C. legislature. Milobar said that over the past several months, it had become increasingly clear to him that his personal values no longer aligned with the party’s new direction under Leader Kami-Leon Findlay. He said he fully respects Findlay’s right to shape the party according to her vision, but stressed that his top priority remains serving the people of Kamloops Centre, a commitment that has not
b-c-premier-announces-three-cabinet-changes-as-brenda-bailey-takes-leave-for-cancer-treatment
BCAug 14, 2026

B.C. Premier Announces Three Cabinet Changes as Brenda Bailey Takes Leave for Cancer Treatment

British Columbia Premier David Eby has announced three cabinet changes following Finance Minister Brenda Bailey’s decision to take a leave of absence for cancer treatment and recovery. Bailey has been diagnosed with early-stage cancer that is treatable. She is expected to begin treatment in late August 2026 and return to work in early October. She will remain a member of cabinet during her leave. Effective August 14, the changes are: Josie Osborne — Minister of Finance Ravi Kahlon — Minister of Health Brenda Bailey — Minister of Jobs and Economic Growth Bailey is returning to the
downtown-vancouver-stranger-assault-vpd-seeks-witnesses
BCAug 14, 2026

Downtown Vancouver stranger assault: VPD seeks witnesses

Vancouver Police are investigating a random assault that left a man seriously injured near Nelson and Richards streets. Police say a couple was walking back to their hotel after attending a concert at around 11:45 p.m. when a stranger approached from behind and punched one of them in the face. The victim fell and struck his head on the pavement. The suspect then fled toward Granville Street. The victim was taken to hospital with serious injuries. The suspect is described as a white man, approximately 5'5" to 5'8" tall, aged 20 to 35, with a medium build. He was reportedly wearing fingerless gl
vancouver-mayor-ken-sim-seeks-public-safety-referendum
BCAug 14, 2026

Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim Seeks Public Safety Referendum

Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim is calling for a public referendum on public safety issues to be held alongside the municipal elections in October, while also sharply criticizing B.C. Premier David Eby. Sim’s ABC Vancouver party has proposed adding two questions to the municipal election ballot. The first would ask voters whether the city should strengthen its bylaws to restrict open drug use. The second would seek public support for pressuring the provincial government to build a treatment facility with more than 100 beds for people dealing with mental illness and addiction. Sim questioned the prov
BCAug 14, 2026

Highway 97 in Summerland Temporarily Reopens Under Strict Rules

Highway 97 in Summerland, B.C., which had been closed due to wildfire activity, has been temporarily reopened under strict traffic restrictions. According to the Ministry of Transportation, the highway will only be open daily from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. During these hours, drivers are strictly prohibited from stopping anywhere along the highway. All exits and side roads leading off the highway will also remain closed, and speed restrictions are in place. The government has warned that the area remains an active wildfire zone, meaning conditions could change at any time. Drivers have been instructed
rcmp-seeks-public-assistance-in-locating-amandeep-singh
BCAug 14, 2026

RCMP seeks public assistance in locating Amandeep Singh

The RCMP is asking for the public’s help in locating 45-year-old Amandeep Singh, who was reported missing on August 8, 2026. Singh was last seen on August 6, 2026. He is described as South Asian, approximately 5 feet 7 inches (154 cm) tall and weighing 172 pounds (78 kg). He has black hair and brown eyes. Anyone who may have information about Amandeep Singh’s whereabouts is asked to contact their local police or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).
b-c-finance-minister-brenda-bailey-reveals-early-stage-cancer-diagnosis
BCAug 14, 2026

B.C. Finance Minister Brenda Bailey reveals early-stage cancer diagnosis

British Columbia Finance Minister Brenda Bailey has revealed that she has been diagnosed with early-stage cancer, saying doctors expect her to make a full recovery. Bailey said in a social media post that she learned about the diagnosis several weeks ago. She said she will undergo treatment this summer and expects to return to work in time for the fall legislative session. Bailey also said she is working with Premier David Eby to ensure government operations continue while she receives treatment. Eby described Bailey as a capable and important cabinet minister and wished her a speedy recovery.
shots-fired-in-surreys-newton-neighbourhood-under-investigation
BCAug 13, 2026

Shots Fired in Surrey’s Newton Neighbourhood Under Investigation

Surrey Police Service (SPS) is investigating a shots-fired incident in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood. Police were called at around 10:34 a.m. on August 12 after a homeowner near 76 Avenue and 124 Street reported finding what appeared to be gunshot damage to an outbuilding on the property. Frontline officers arrived minutes later and confirmed that the exterior damage had been caused by gunfire. No one was injured in the incident. Police say it is currently unknown whether the shooting was related to extortion. SPS is asking anyone who was in the area around the time of the incident and witne

Just In

b-c-conservative-leader-attacks-eby-government-over-forestry-decline
BCAug 18, 2026

B.C. Conservative Leader Attacks Eby Government Over Forestry Decline

B.C. Conservative Party Leader John Rustad has accused Premier David Eby of blaming U.S. President Donald Trump’s tariffs for the province’s forestry-sector decline in an attempt to hide his government’s own failures. In a statement Tuesday, Rustad said U.S. tariffs are harmful and should be strongly opposed. However, he said forestry production in B.C.’s Interior began declining as early as 2016, long before Trump returned to office, and has now fallen by about 50 per cent. According to Rustad, poor provincial policies, permit processes that can take two to three years, and uncertaint
trumps-presidency-delays-quebec-sovereignty-referendum-says-parti-québécois
CanadaAug 18, 2026

Trump’s Presidency Delays Quebec Sovereignty Referendum, Says Parti Québécois

Parti Québécois leader Paul St-Pierre Plamondon says his party would not hold a referendum on Quebec sovereignty while Donald Trump remains president of the United States. St-Pierre Plamondon says the party still intends to hold a referendum on whether Quebec should separate from Canada during its first mandate if elected. However, he says such a crucial decision about Quebec’s future requires a clear and calm debate. He says the referendum debate should not be disrupted by American politics or unexpected announcements from the U.S. president. According to St-Pierre Plamondon, the unpredic
AlbertaAug 18, 2026

Sentencing Arguments Begin for Man Convicted of Sexually Assaulting Three Women

Sentencing arguments begin today for 62-year-old Richard Mantha, who was convicted of sexually assaulting three vulnerable women and drugging one of them. Mantha was found guilty of six offences following a trial that lasted more than two years. The full day has been set aside for the Crown and defence to present their arguments on what sentence he should receive. He was convicted of two counts of sexual assault, as well as choking while committing a sexual assault and administering a noxious substance. Mantha was also found guilty of assault with a weapon and uttering threats against a fourth
BCAug 18, 2026

Goldstream Falls swimming incident: 27-year-old man dies

A 27-year-old man has died after getting into distress while swimming near Goldstream Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park on Monday evening. West Shore RCMP said officers responded to the incident at around 7:35 p.m. on August 17. The man reportedly went underwater while swimming near the waterfall and did not resurface. Bystanders pulled him from the water and immediately began life-saving measures. Police, BC Emergency Health Services and Langford Fire Department later arrived and continued the emergency response. The man was taken to hospital for further treatment but later succumbed to his
poilievre-attacks-carney-government-over-ev-mandate
BCAug 18, 2026

Poilievre Attacks Carney Government Over EV Mandate

Canada’s main opposition leader, Pierre Poilievre, has launched a strong attack on Prime Minister Mark Carney’s government over its electric vehicle policy. Poilievre alleges that while the government is moving to scrap the existing EV sales mandate, it is planning to bring back a similar requirement through the “back door” using tougher emissions standards. According to a notice published in the Canada Gazette, the government has recently started the process of repealing the previous EV Sales Mandate, which required 20 per cent of new vehicles sold in 2026 to be electric. Reacting to